SP System Map 1944

SP System Map 1944
Click on the map to view full scale

SP Mulford Line

TT Scale
Owner: Richard Brennan
Layout Location: Gavia Court, San Leandro, CA
I am one of a -very- small number of modelers in the US (less than 150?) trying to model in TT-Scale (1:120).
My planned around-the-room layout runs up the East Bay on the SP Mulford Line, much of which was the original South Pacific Coast narrow gauge right-of-way, intersecting at Santa Clara.
Starting on the right side (3:00) In the Mulford Gardens area, the cannery represents the one in Oakland's Fruitvale district, but I will label it Del Monte after the one I worked at. The Western Electric plant in San Leandro also represents a former employer... but once again, I never worked at this location.
The diesel shops represent a small portion of the SP West Oakland shops... with just the engine house and refueling area represented.
The Roberts Landing section is where I live now... in land which was cleaned-up after they removed the Trojan Powder Works dynamite factory. This area will be "semi-" historical... but the line was actually about a kilometer away from the landing. The boats (scow schooners) actually used to come up the creek at high tide to unload.
I also have an in-swinging door, so I too will have a removable/duck-under "bridge". Mine will represent a trestle across San Leandro Bay to Alameda.
The Union City/Hayward areas will have several industries I am fond of: A cement plant (for covered hopper loads), the Golden Glow brewery... which is one of the most modellogenic buildings I have ever seen (in photos only...), and a small industrial gas depot... for helium cars!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know this is an older post, but do you have a picture or image of your trackplan? I would like to build an N-scale layout inspired by the Mulford Line (I grew up in Newark in the 70's and 80's) and am looking for ideas.